Thursday, March 22, 2012
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Take the time to complete the following tasks thoroughly. I will assess your work as 2 quiz grades. All of the work below is due by 9:15. You may help one another quietly and appropriately, but make sure that your work is indeed your work. There should be no duplicates.
1. While you have computers, check to be sure that you have linked all of your classmates. If you are missing a link, ask your peer for his or her url and add it.
2. On Tuesday, you listed 10 devices that Swift utilized in his Modest Proposal. Choose 3 of these devices to use for your formal analysis. For each tool/device, extract at least 3 excerpts from Swift’s essay that clearly exemplify them. Then construct a thesis statement draft that fulfills or exceeds the requirements of my rubric. Post your results as a comment here.
3. Click here. Read this Letter from Dr. King. Pull out 12 quotes: 4 that exemplify ethos; 4 that exemplify pathos; and 4 that exemplify logos. Then construct a thesis statement draft that fulfills or exceeds the requirements of my rubric. Post your results as a comment here.
4. Indicate 3 potential directions (problem; solution) for your own Modest Proposal. For each, discuss possibilities regarding how you might incorporate each argumentative method (ethos, pathos, logos). Post your results as a comment here.
5. Click here. Read the analogies. If you’ve read them before, sorry. Read them again. Identify the 4 you find most humorous. Post your results as a comment here.
If you finish early, check your work. Finishing this assignment early may be indicative of a lackluster performance. If you are simply more efficient than most, turn your attention to the Modest Proposal writing tasks (tests) and get started.