Part A (quiz): Click here to visit the CIA's World Fact Book. Peruse the site and respond to the following questions (due as a comment to this post by midnight October 29).
1. What are the top eight agricultural products? What product is #1?
2. What is the life expectancy rate? What is the infant mortality rate? What deeper issues are typically reflected in these statistics?
3. How many kilometers of coastline does Afghanistan possess? How might this number have contributed to the country's history?
4. Identify the transnational issues that Afghanistan faces.
5. Construct a thesis statement that encapsulates the essence of the Afghan nation (both its assets and its challenges).
Part B (quiz): Click her to visit The Boston Globe's "The Big Picture: Afghanistan". View each photograph (use your judgement for the objectionable pieces) and read the corresponding footnotes. Choose the most powerful image to prompt a piece of fiction. Write a descriptive passage that embodies the "show vs. tell" technique we have discussed in class (due as a comment to this post by midnight Halloween).
Part C (quiz): Article: "Hazaras: Afghanistan's Outsiders" (9 pages). Produce a thesis statement that encapsulates the author's message and illuminates the deeper meaning of the text (due as a comment to this post by midnight Halloween).
Part D (quiz): Click here to view the Frontline Program: "The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan". Take notes and prepare for a Discussion Facilitation regarding this topic.
Extra Credit: A quiz grade of 100 will be awarded for comprehensive notes for the Frontline Program: "The War Briefing".