Sunday, November 4, 2007
Writing and Visual Imagination: Self-portraits
Monday: Computer Lab. Search the internet for self-portraits by the following artists: Rembrandt van Rijn, Vincent Van Gogh, Kathe Kollwitz, Paul Gauguin, Gregory Gillespie (see image to right), Pablo Picasso, Paul Cezanne, Susanna Coffey, Brett Gamache (a good friend of mine).
Create a Word document.
1. For each artist, record the title, year of completion, and country of origin.
2. Identify three comparable (composition, color, mood, etc.) self-portraits from the list. Construct a paragraph which identifies the parallels between these 3 works.
3. Identify the strongest self-portrait. In a paragraph, explain the elements which make it stand out; use your vocabulary words.
4. Typically, self-portraits are not lucrative efforts for living artists. Why might an artist choose to focus on self-portraits? What may drive an artist, like Rembrandt, to devote so much time and effort towards depicting himself? Explain in paragraph form.
5. On Thursday, you will use the Infocus machine to share an image with your classmates. Find an easily retrievable image which best embodies your concept and name it here. You will be asked to share as much information regarding the piece as possible, so do some research. Also- steer clear of apocryphal resources.
6. Proofread and post your document here.
Any additional time (wow- you're efficient!)? Work on your concept-folio.