Thursday, December 18, 2008
Create a Word document. Complete the enumerated tasks below in well-constructed responses.
Click here or
Go to: http://knowingpoe.thinkport.org/default_flash.asp (or just search and select “knowing Poe”).
Under “Poe the Writer,” select “The Poetic Principle.”
Launch, and carefully complete the interactive guide.
1. Look for your “checklist;” note the 5 quotations you have agreed with.
2. Under “Poe the Writer,” select “Poe the Perfectionist.” In a brief paragraph (5 sentences or so), indicate what the excerpts of “The Lake” tell you about Poe as a writer and as a person. You will need to analyze closely and think carefully.
3. Under “The Poe Library,” select and read “The Poe Toaster.” Respond in a paragraph.
4. Under “The Poe Library,” select and read “The Baltimore Ravens.” Respond in a paragraph.
5. Explore Poe’s house under “Poe the Person”.
6. Cite 2 specific facts or points of interest, which you find important,
from elsewhere on the website.
7. Finally, link to: http://books.eserver.org/poetry/poe/dream_within_a_dream.html
Read Poe's poem, "A Dream within a Dream". Using direct quotes, answer the following prompt: how does the poem offer direct correlation to Poe's real life? Why might the questions and philosophies raised in this short work have a greater significance to both Poe and the critical reader?