Monday, April 27, 2009
Writing and Visual Imagination: Self-Portraits
Search the internet for self-portraits by the following artists: Rembrandt van Rijn, Vincent Van Gogh, Susanna Coffey, Lucian Freud, Kathe Kollwitz, Paul Gauguin, Gregory Gillespie, Pablo Picasso, Paul Cezanne, Susanna Coffey, Brett Gamache (a friend of mine).
Create a Word document.
1. For each artist, record the title, year of completion, and country of origin.
2. Identify three comparable (composition, color, mood, etc.) self-portraits from the list. Construct a paragraph which identifies the parallels between these 3 works.
3. Identify the strongest self-portrait. In a paragraph, explain the elements which make it stand out; use your vocabulary words.
4. Typically, self-portraits are not lucrative efforts for living artists. Why might an artist choose to focus on self-portraits? What may drive an artist, like Rembrandt, to devote so much time and effort towards depicting himself? Explain in paragraph form.
5. Proofread and post your document here.