Good morning, class. Please complete the following tasks by the end of the block. Submit your work as a comment to this post. Each question demands at least a well-composed paragraph.
1. Describe the point at which Daniel Plainview pivots as a character. In which scene does he begin his transformation from dedicated entrepreneur to a full-fledged miscreant?
2. Why does Plainview leave his son? How does the scene with the Standard Oil men help characterize Plainview's persona?
3. Describe why Plainview becomes suspicious of Henry and how he handles him thereafter.
4. Describe the convergence of religion and capitalism/nihilism in the film. How are these forces integrated and negotiated?
5. Visit our Edline pay and locate the Distillation Rubric. We've mentioned and dealt with this (briefly) before, but the document has been modified recently. Please read through the rubric and samples carefully. Then, compose a distillation (follow the Literature and Film protocol) for There Will Be Blood. Take your time- it's only a 4 sentence analysis, but it requires thought, development, and refinement.
6. Click here to access some critical reviews of the film. Choose 1 to read. Offer a synopsis of the critique and a response to its claims as a paragraph here.
6. If you should finish early, please make up any work that you've missed.